Tuesday 15 June 2021

Bobosama

I first learned about Bobosama through his websites EmuGateway and WizardWare, which revolved around Abandonware Emulation games and Anime. Very nicely designed and user friendly websites. He then immersed himself into the abandonware community and was a likeable character. With ambitious momentum he also started EmuWare, which had been an Abandonware/Emulation ring. My interest with abandonware had been phasing out and I had less and less to do with it at this point (2003/2004) and NeoPickaze and myself called it a day with our abandonware ring 'EchoRing' and the .com had been sold off (more on this scandal in the future) against my wishes, however I had retained the .co.uk for keep sake.

Starting an abandonware ring (or any website) from scratch was not (and is not) easy if you are not used to endless days of websites not updating, no new sites joining - it can all seem a bit pointless after a while, if you are doing it for external interaction. I believe he felt like that with EmuWare and had eventually closed that project. He then reached out to me and told me he had been a fan of EchoRing when he was a member of it and wanted to revive it. I appreciated that there had been someone that was a fan of the ring and didn't want it's legacy to end the way it had done (dormant and sold off - more on this scandal in the future) so I threw my support fully behind him and offered any behind the scene help I could do. He breathed new life into Echoring, had a decent sized crew, added features that NeoPickaze and I had not thought of and was able to attract members to the ring we had been unable to do so ourselves. After 18 months or so, the natural evolution happended and EchoRing closed with his farewell message. I understand he had stayed in the scene for a while, concentrating on his website EmuGateway.

Quite a few years afterwards I learned from Diskboy that he had sadly passed away. This left me quite shocked. For me, Bobosama epitomised - new blood, change, progress and ambition. I feel very fortunate that I had became friends with him and felt honoured that he had been a fan of a website I had something to do with and helped revive it.

At the time he was in charge of Echoring, he published a series of interviews with people in the Abandonware community of that era - which I retained and feel it would be fitting to publish them here, once again.

Rest in Peace Boris - thank you for your everything.

No comments: