Wednesday 21 July 2021

July 2003: Bobosama interviews Iceman

Bobosama: When did you first enter the scene? What was your first site?

Iceman: Well, I found Abandonware in late 1999 when I was searching for Aces over the Europe. I tried to find it through AltaVista, but I only found lots of useless crap sites through that. Then there was one site which had a word "OldWarez" in its title. 

Iceman: The site was down but then I searched for "oldwarez" and found lots of old games that I had lost. Finally I ended up to an abandonware site where I found Aces over the Europe. 

Bobosama: When did you first meet Miles? How did you come up with the idea of starting a ring?  

Iceman: A year after my friend asked me at school that he was interested in opening a site and ask me to join crew. However, he didn't know what content he would put up and I told him about Abandonware. So then we started The Thing, it was late 2000. And The Thing joined first Abandonware rings on January 2001. I met Miles at #pcoldies However, I started at #pcoldies with idling. When I finally started talking there I met Miles We were planning an emulation site with Anti those days and I ended up to a channel called #syntaxerror and Miles was also there 

Bobosama: When did you decide you wanted to start a ring? 

Iceman: DOO was originally Miles' idea, he was planning to start a ring, I think it was on May 2002 Anyway, he asked me to join the crew 

Bobosama: DOO excluded, what would you say is your favorite ring and why? 

Iceman: I have two favorite rings at the moment: TUOL and Abandoned Places. TUOL because it's stable and has regular updates. AP because of the quality sites it provides, good news posts and daily updates 

Bobosama: How did you end up getting a job at DFL? 

Iceman: Diskboy was tired of abandonware and was looking for people who wanted to run DFL (and Diskworld as well). I replied to him that I could keep up TGARL and Elite Links (I was too busy to write news at that time). However, I have now written news on the DFL as well. 

Bobosama: What are your plans for the future? 

Iceman: I'll keep updating DOO, TT and DFL until I'm off to army on January 2004. So for DOO I need more crew members to update when I'm off 

Bobosama: So we won't be seeing any more Iceman in 6 months? 

Iceman: Nope, I'm not going to disappear. The army lasts a year but there are "holidays" when you get home and I can update DOO and TT, and post to DFL then

Bobosama: Thank you for your time. The scene will miss you. 

Iceman: Thanks for interviewer

No comments: