Wednesday 13 August 2008

Design dead?

A month. One whole month. After all the previous 'willy-waving' statements I've made about "Oooo! Look at me! This is AWGaz and it will be updated continuously!" I've not only let myself down, but I've let my public down - and whats the first rule of showbiz? Never let down your public. *Hangs head in shame*

Apart from that - lets look at whats happened since I've not updated shall we? Diskboy has done the exact thing, after his willy-waving; nice one man, whats your excuse?

Muaddib reopened Abandonware Blog - which was great news for the 'media' side of the community, yet two things I noticed; this time it seems to of only concentrated on games, and his last update was two weeks ago. So we've got three media sources in the scene, and three social layabouts running them - great stuff. Fox take note: Now we've even got more sites on the verge of going to the much anticipated 'Abandonware Archive'.

What kicked me into gears to update was, an email I received from Poorgod (oh whats that? Yeah that's right - me and poorgod are buddies.) saying "Update the Gazette!" pasted 50 times (literally). So all death threats and hate mail go to him, for updating this site - as you visited it everyday saying to yourself "another day he hasn't updated! he's surely gotta shut-it down now? teehee!"

Getting back on course though.. I'm gay.. No seriously - remember when having the *best* design was the craze? Remember Bumbleb? That was drool material. Remember TZ and acring, NeoPickaze and his EchoRings and other sites? Those stood out. Those websites where something to aspire to, and at that stage felt like they way things would look, in years to come. So years have passed now, seven years in total - and as the par of your 'usual' design has increased in quality, it's just a tid-bit. All this talk of 'Oh, I like to keep things simplistic' it's just bullshit - you can't design THAT good so you hide behind that facade, face it. I mean, take this heap of trash as an example - do you really think I aspired to use blogspot and have this shitty layout? No. I can't design for shit - and I'm not about to embarrass myself. At the end of the day, don't get me wrong - I'm not shooting anyone down, because I appreciate everyones designs - but what happened to the 'design-nuclear-race' all those years ago?

See you next month.. (just kidding..)

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fuck DFL.

There, I said it. FUCK DFL.

I can only approve/edit/delete news articles, its pathetic.

I am in the process of making a NEW site. My short lived Subdot, although sweet was never a champion. My new site will be beautiful to the eye, multi-browser compatible, contain quality and quantity while not offering game downloads.

It shall be a hybred site like no other, and has a life expectancy of over 3 months (:P).

Hopefully it will inspire others to rebuild their homes in our Abandonware village. Competition is healthy, without it we shall slack!

poorgod said...

I am thinking, since we are all so fucking lazy, maybe we should just open a multi-user blog! If we can find enough people to contribute, i say 30, we can go back to the good old days when sites were daily updated!
As for design... Well i don't really think it matters as much as it used to be. By the way, who was doing the design stuff of echoring? I really can't remember how it looked, but i can remember myself liking it.

poorgod said...

Oh, and, ummm, i completely missed the point of the post when i commented. Ahem, anyway..
Well, i guess, what always should matter is the content. If you are a website about design, well, you might as well have a good design, but otherwise, i don't think it's really that necessary. But the important point is that the "design" doesn't only mean the "eye candy" part. It's the design of a website what makes it more usable, readable etc etc.
So things are getting quite easier for designers, because some paradigms are settling in. I mean, look at a hundred blogs, and you'll see a similar layout, one way or the other, because that layout proved to be efficient. The onyl thing left for designers is to play on that. Same goes for ecommerce sites. There are a shitload of sites about everything. Users can't and won't try and manage to adapt to the layout every time they visit a new site.
I don't think there is room for beveled buttons, 3d effects, flash intro's and menus etc. on websited anymore. What matters is that you can give your users the content they are looking for, as quickly and pleasing as possible. Now if you can do that and also manage to look good, then you have a good design in your hand.
I personally like the default blogspot design very much. Because i already know where everything is. I (and millions of other internet users) have seen all kinds of eye candy already. If i want to see more, there are a lot of sites providing exactly and only that. Fuck, what a messy post this has been.

Anonymous said...

Design's never been my strong point. I use relative-width text boxes and textured backgrounds, both of which seem pretty unfashionable.

Anonymous said...

If only I could design..

Then maybe another site could come back... hmmm..

Sparky/Hanging.

Ewald said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I never really wanted to focus on games only, but there's nothing else to talk about! I've got some unfinished posts ready to be published though, most of them about the scene.

I've always wanted to revive Abandonstuff, there even were a couple of times I almost did but just when things started to get ready I didn't like the design anymore so I started all over again.

I'm working on a really nice one now and I'm sure that'll be the one that brings Abandonstuff back (I decided a blog should not have reviews). I hope to get it online before 2020

poorgod said...

"See you next month.."

4 more days, and i will call you a "man of his word", that's among other things, of course.

Anonymous said...

Well this place stayed alive for a long time... I can't say much though, considering the last time The Joystick was updated :D

Anonymous said...

See you next month.. (just kidding..)
posted by The Saint at 21:08 on 13-Aug-2008


Looks like he was a man of his word!

Anonymous said...

Its been two months now! :(

Anonymous said...

This is what happens when you let charlatans run websites. Disgraceful.

Anonymous said...

It is good to see that the abandonware scene is in good shape.

My own blog :

-http://www.oldgamesdownload.blogspot.com/ is working closely with the Mr. Oldgames website. Which is a new website, and they are finding new games that are being abandoned has time goes by. Like blood and magic Cd ISO... :)